Market square, pedestrian zone and synagogue square
Market square, pedestrian zone
The undisputed center of the city is the market square, which is located in the middle of the pedestrian zone – Norderstraße and Burgstraße / Osterstraße. The Matkthalle, the Kugelbrunnen and the Sous Tower are located on the square. The market days are Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. There is also live music every Thursday evening in the market hall. Check agooddir to see history of Germany.
But outside of market days you can also go shopping here or relax in one of the cafés.
A reasonably priced underground car park is available on site for motorists.
Synagogue Square with Holocaust Memorial
At the place where there used to be a synagogue, there are now basalt columns to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust who came from Aurich.
The data of the victims are on the broad sides of the pillars, while the names of the concentration camps to which they were deported were placed on the long sides.
The monument designed by the Aurich master stonemason, Bernd Clemenz Weber, was inaugurated in May 2002.
Worth mentioning is Burgstrasse in Aurich, a shopping and promenade that is part of the pedestrian zone. The street was the first closed built-up local street and led from the castle into the city.
On the street there is a memorial erected in 1926 for those who fell in the First World War.
Special buildings, structures and sculptures
Old town house
The building was erected around 1630 in the late renaissance style for the general superintendent and court preacher Michael Walter, but it was demolished in 1964 and then rebuilt, with the facade being restored using the original sandstone elements.
Nowadays there is a restaurant in the house.
The beginning of this building goes back to the year 1530, when Count Johann Cirksena (1506-1572) had the monastery church in Ihlow demolished and a town house built in Aurich from its stones.
In 1540 the Count left East Friesland and sold his town house to Countess Anna, who left it to the town as a town hall and wine house.
In 1609 the count’s office from Emden came to Aurich – after the count’s residence had already been relocated here. For more than 250 years, the building was the official residence and residence of the Count’s Chancellor. From 1870 it was the office and residence of the district administrator and until 1983 the administrative building of the district of Aurich.
On July 5, 1985, the Historical Museum was ceremoniously opened there. In 1998 the museum was expanded and redesigned. In 2001 the cultural offer was expanded to include the children’s museum “MACHmit!” added.
Bull in front of Deutsche Bank
In the world of finance and the stock market, the bull is a symbol of the upswing and of continuously rising prices. It should therefore represent an optimistic mood. This bull in Aurich was made by the sculptor Michael Weihe – 1961 in Hall born in 2012 in Leipzig died – built.
Tel.: 0049 – (0) 4941 – 99050
The Carolinenhof, a shopping and leisure center, houses around 36 shops and a wide range of restaurants in Fischteichweg 15. There are also bars, cinemas and discos here.
The center opened in 1983.
This town house in the classicism style was built in 1804 by the Aurich architect Conrad Bernhard Meyer for the family of the lawyer Justus Conring in Burgstrasse. Nowadays the building is used as a residential building.
Princely Court Pharmacy
The pharmacy was first mentioned in a document in 1608. The then pharmacist Johannes Petrus Scofius was still in the service of Count Enno III. and mainly produced remedies for the count’s family and their servants. A sale outside this group of people was only permitted with the Count’s approval.
In the pharmacy of that time, not only medicines, but also spices, tea or coffee and even haberdashery and alcohol were traded.
In 1690 Thomas Greems took over the administration of the court pharmacy for three years and in 1693 the court medicus Dr. Eberhard Bacmeister. But in 1697 he gave the pharmacy back to Greems, who was mayor of Aurich from 1707 to 1735.
After numerous changes of ownership, Oskar Rassau bought the pharmacy in 1933, who was mayor of the city from 1944 to 1945 and helped to ensure that Aurich was spared enemy fire.
Tel.: 0049 – (0) 4941 – 2286
Email: info [@] hof-apotheke-aurich.de
Buildings of the East Frisian landscape
The East Frisian landscape is not understood as an actual landscape, but rather the name of a council that was founded around 500 years ago and which represented the interests of the people of East Frisia towards the sovereign until the 19th century.
Nowadays their task consists in historical research, monument preservation and the preservation of the Low German language. An official dictionary of the East Frisian landscape was even published on the latter. From a legal point of view, it is a “higher municipal association in Lower Saxony” with its seat in Aurich, which includes the three East Frisian districts of Aurich, Leer and Wittmund as well as the city of Emden. It is a corporation under public law and roughly comparable to the regional associations inNRW.
The East Frisian landscape has its seat in the landscape house. The building was erected between 1898 and 1901 according to designs by the Hanover- based architect Hermann Schaedtle (1857-1931) in the neo-renaissance style. The landscape library, the largest scientific library in all of East Frisia, is also located here.
Georgswall 1 – 5
Tel.: 0049 – (0) 4941 – 17 990
Building of the “Ostfriesische Nachrichten ”
This building was built in 1895 by the son of the founder of the newspaper, Adolf Heinrich Dunkmann, as a residential and commercial building for the print medium. The property is a two-storey building with a corner projectile and a facade with window frames in red sandstone. It has a mansard roof with a bay window. Today the building houses the office of the newspaper, which was founded on January 26, 1864.
Tel.: 0049 – (0) 4941 – 17 08 0
This building is located a few 100 m from the Aurich harbor, in the immediate vicinity of the East Frisian Landscape House. In the past, the harbor basin reached just before the house. At that time the arriving ships were welcomed here with the help of a bell (pingel), which was located on the building.
The building is the oldest surviving house in Aurich with medieval masonry. It was built around 1700 by councilor Coop Broyels and extensively renovated in 1957. According to an old tradition, knight Ocko I, ruler of the Aurich and Brookmerlands, was slain here in 1391.
The building was named after the long-time owner Hanstein. Nowadays there is a gift shop on the ground floor and apartments above it.
Historic gate pillars
These gate pillars originally served as the entrance gate to the princely pleasure garden “Julianenburg” in the west of the palace complex.
They were built in 1708 under Prince Christian Eberhard (1665-1708). They have been decorating the western entrance of Aurich’s pedestrian zone since 1975.
The station for the narrow-gauge railway “Jan Klein” was built in 1899.
The approximately 70 km long stretch of the Leer – Aurich – Ogenbargen – Wittmund railway was built between 1899 and 1900.
The 18 km long branch Ogenbargen – Esens – Bensersiel was built in 1909.
Since 1959, no passenger trains have been running here. However, the station was extensively restored between 2000 and 2001.
Nowadays the building is used as the “Regional Computer Training Center” (RCC), as a cafeteria and as the cafeteria of the Ulricianum grammar school.
This Dutch late baroque style town house was built around 1735 as a residence by the royal court architect Anton Heinrich Horst.
The building was named after the lawyer Knodt, who owned the house for a long time.
The Kugelbrunnen is located on the Aurich market square. The granite ball has a diameter of around 130 cm and a weight of around 2.8 tons.