House of God of the Reformed Church
The house of God of the Reformed Church was built between 1812 and 1814 and is based on a donation from Napoleon. The building was built according to plans by the Aurich architect Conrad Bernhard Meyer.
It is a classical rotunda with a dome. The entrance is a portico with Corinthian columns.
Today the Reformed Church’s congregation consists of around 1,400 people.
The Lambertikirche is the parish church of the Evangelical Lutheran. Lamberti parish of the city. The church was built between 1833 and 1835 in the classicism style on the site of a previous building that was demolished in 1826. The church was named after St. Lambertus (635-705).
The approx. 35 m high tower of the church, the Lambertiturm, is the symbol of the city. The construction of the tower goes back to the end of the 13th century, although it did not get its current height until 1656. The tower stands next to the church and is not structurally connected to it.
In the bell chamber in the upper part of the tower there are four bells, the oldest and largest dating from 1717. It was cast by Mammeus Fremy (1673-1733). The tower is not accessible to the public. See map of Germany on directoryaah.
A visit to the cemetery is definitely worthwhile, as the mausoleum with the sarcophagi of the former Cirksena family of counts and princes of East Frisia has been located here since 1880. At the entrance to the cemetery there is a classicist gate house, which was built in 1806 by the Aurich architect Conrad Bernhard Meyer.
The mausoleum in the cemetery is a functional neo-Romanesque building with a dome. The building was erected between 1875 and 1876 by the Aurich master mason Gerhard Neemann. You can find more information about the building above under “Special Buildings, Structures and Sculptures”
Aurich’s Jewish cemetery is located outside the city center on Emder Strasse. The first burials took place here in 1765.
A visit to the cemetery is only possible as part of a city tour. Funerals were held here regularly until 1940. But after the destruction of almost all parishioners by the Nazis in World War II, burials are extremely rare here. There are around 350 preserved tombstones here.
De Baalje Water World
This is a water system with a 65 m slide, with one, three and five meter jumps as well as an indoor pool with a length of 25 m.
There is also an outdoor pool, a sauna area, an outdoor brine pool with a Water temperature of 34 ° C and a salt content of 3%.
Am Ellernfeld 2
Here children and adults can test their climbing skills at around 60 stations at heights between 3 and 10 m.
Playground Skate Hall
This skater facility covers an area of around 3,200 m², making it the largest facility for skateboarders, inline skiers and BMX riders in Germany.
Cycle route around Aurich
This cycle route is fully signposted and covers a total of 66 km. The tour is divided into two sections, each 45 and 21 km in length.
GPS devices can even be borrowed for the tour, which can be clipped to the handlebars with the pre-installed route. You can also borrow an e-bike in the port.
Tannenhausen bathing lake
This approximately 300,000 m² bathing lake in Aurich-Tannenhausen is a lake with a long sandy beach, where dogs are also allowed. You can walk around the lake in about three quarters of an hour. There is also a beach volleyball court here. The restaurant “Seeterrassen” is located on a small peninsula on the eastern shore of the lake.
Tannhausen is a district in the north-west of Aurich, which covers an area of approx. 16.9 km².
At the bathing lake
The Ems-Jade Canal was built between 1880 and 1888 and connects the Ems near Emden with the Jade Bay near Wilhelmshaven.
The canal extends over a length of 72.3 km and leads from the Ems in Emden via its districts Herrentor, Wolthusen and Uphusen through the communities of Ihlow, Südbrookmerland and the city of Aurich, before flowing down via Friedeburg and Sande to Wilhelmshaven to the Jadebusen, where it ends.
The canal has six lock systems as well as 15 fixed and 26 movable bridges. The boiler bridge in Emden is a rarity. However, it is only navigable for ships with a length of less than 33 m, a width of less than 6.2 m and a maximum draft of 1.7 m. In addition to a predominantly tourist use -so for trips from Aurich to Emden and back – but it is also used by inland freighters.
From the port of Aurich you can take a boat trip with the “MS Stadt Aurich” over the Ems-Jade Canal to Emden or Ihlow.
The round trip to Ihlow takes around 2.5 hours, and that to Emden around 8 hours.
It is also possible to rent boats in the port of Aurich.