The Angladon Foundation is located in the Hôtel de Massilian, in the heart of the city. The museum, which opened in 1996, shows numerous works of art from the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, including Van Gogh, Cézanne, Degas, Vuillard and Daumier.
Address: 5, rue
Laboreur Website: www.angladon.com
Maison Jean Vilar
The Jean Vilar house is located in the 14th century Hôtel de Crochans. The house, which opened in 1979, is dedicated to the work of Jean Vilar, founder of the Avignon Theater Festival. A video library and documentation center can also be found there.
Address: 8, rue de Mons – Montée Paul-Puaux
The Yvon Lambert Collection was opened in 2000 and shows contemporary art with works of art by Robert Ryman, Brice Marden, Carl Andre, Gordon Matta-Clark, Anselm Kiefer, Christian Boltanski, Andres Serrano, Douglas Gordon, Cy Twombly and Nan Goldin, among others.
Address: 5, rue Violette
Opera houses and theaters
address: 1, rue Racine
Théâtre des Carmes
address: 6, place des Carmes
Théâtre du Chêne Noir
address: 8, bis rue Sainte- Catherine
Théâtre de l’Escalier des Doms
Address: 1, bis rue des Escaliers Sainte-Anne
Théâtre des Halles
Address: Rue du Roi René
Eglise Saint Pierre
The Saint Pierre church is located in the heart of the city, on the square of the same name, which is paved with pebbles. The church was rebuilt from 1385. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to visit the church, but the facade in a shiny Provencal Gothic style alone deserves a visit.
Cathedral Avignon Cathedral is located on the Place du Palais. It was built in the Provencal-Romanesque style. It was originally built in the 12th century. Their side chapels were added between the 14th and 17th centuries. In 1859 a statue of the virgin made of gilded lead was placed on the bell tower.
Parks and gardens
The Rocher des Doms garden
The 29,000 m2 Rocher des Doms garden is located at the highest point in the city. The Rocher rises at the foot of the Rhône and offers a wonderful panoramic view of the area from its terrace. A beautiful garden has been laid out there since 1830. The Rocher des Doms has always been a very popular destination in Avignon. There is also a small lake there (see above). To get there, you have to climb the stairs from the Notre-Dame-des-Doms cathedral, the Sainte-Anne stairs or the stairs on the banks of the Rhône.
Square Agricol Perdiguier
Address: Rue Agricol Perdiguier
The former plant garden, also called “Petit Jardin”, has recently been completely rebuilt. Traces of a Gothic monastery can be discovered in this 4,700 square meter park.
Parc de la Barben
The largest animal park in the region is not just a zoo, but a place of relaxation and discovery, where, in addition to 600 animals from five continents, the playground and the shaded picnic area await visitors. Close to the park is the beautiful Castle of the Barben (Château de la Barben), which is protected as a historical building and is well worth a visit.
13330 La Barben
Port d’Avignon – Le Pontet
The commercial port of Avignon is actually in the neighboring municipality of Le Pontet. According to a2zdirectory, the port has an international character, as 35% of the trade there takes place with the rest of France, 19% with Germany, 17% with Great Britain and 9% with the Netherlands.
Relais Nautique d’Avignon – Plaisance
The Relais is located around 100 m from the Saint Bénézet bridge and can accommodate up to around 60 ships of various sizes. Showers, toilets and petrol stations for ships are offered there.
Rivers, lakes, canals
Lake of the Rocher des Doms
On the Rocher des Doms (see below) there is a small lake where swans, geese and carp live together. In the middle of the lake is the “Vénus aux Hirondelles”, a statue by Félix Charpentier, which was originally located in the Carnot square, but was relocated here because of its nudity. In the surrounding garden (see below) you can admire the beautiful plants and flowers as well as tame peacocks.
Avignon is located on an arch of the Rhône. Floods have often occurred in the city’s long history. The residents then always sought refuge on the Rocher des Doms. Numerous promenades were laid out along the river. The Chemin de Halage is definitely the most popular and beautiful promenade. It is located on the Ile de la Barthelasse along the Rhône. From there you have a wonderful view of the Avignon Bridge, the Rocher des Doms and the Palais des Papes. The river shuttle (navette fluviale) connects the two banks of the river.
Canal de Vaucluse
The Canal de Vaucluse begins in “La Croupière” and splits into two runs before Avignon. The part that runs through Avignon is 11 km long and enters the city wall of Avignon at the Limbert Tor. Several parts of the canal run underground in the city. One of the most famous runs is the one on Rue des Teinturiers (see below). Then the canal flows into the Rhône south of the Allées de l’Oulle.