Falk Miksa Street
This elegant street is the city’s antiques street. Here you will find over 20 antiquities shops where you can find a lot your heart desires. The street was named after the Hungarian publicist and politician Maximilian (Miksa) Falk (1828-1908).
The Budapest boulevard, which is over 2 km long, begins at Elisabeth Square (Erzébet tér) and heads northeast out of town. The street is lined with city palaces and other magnificent buildings, including the State Opera. Behind the octagon, an octagonal square, Andrássy út becomes an avenue.
In Deák-Ferenc-Strasse between Deák-Ferenc-Platz and Vörösmarty-Platz you will find world brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Boss, Mexx, byblos, roccobarocco in a newly built shopping center on an area of 12.00 m², Lacoste, Sisley, Benetton, S. Oliver, Puma, Karl Lagerfeld, Polo Ralph Lauren, Just Cavalli or Giancarlo Ferre.
The street leading to the Ostbahnhof is now one of the city’s main shopping streets. Buildings worth seeing include the St. Rochus Chapel and the National Film Theater.
This pedestrian zone is in the center of Pest. In addition to smaller shops (bookstores, antique shops), there are numerous upscale boutiques here. Váci Die The heart of downtown Budapest beats on Váci Street. It is also worth taking a look at the small cross streets of Váci Street, because here you can come across some special specialties, such as the world-famous Szamos marzipan or the Vass shoes.
Special buildings and structures
The magnificent building, built in neo-Gothic style, was inaugurated in 1904 after 20 years of construction. The central element of the huge complex is the 96-meter-high neo-renaissance dome located above the central wing. The coronation insignia has been kept in Parliament since the beginning of 2000. For many people – and not just Hungarians – the building is considered to be one of the most beautiful parliament buildings in the world.
The palace represents a building of the secession of Hungarian architecture as defined on a2zdirectory. It was built according to plans by Zsigmond Quittner and the Vágó brothers in 1907 as the seat of the Budapest branch of the British insurance company “The Gresham”. The famous Gresham Coffee House was on the first floor. The palace currently houses one of the city’s luxury hotels.
Széchenyi István tér 5-6
This coffee house was opened in 1887 and reopened in the old style after the fall of the Wall in 1999. We recommend the Dobos cake or the Esterhàzy cake.
The Dobos cake is a kind of “cold dog” and was created by the master confectioner József Dobos in 1885.
Budapest is still famous for its coffee houses, even though the communists closed or completely remodeled most of the classic 19th century coffee houses.
The tradition of coffee houses goes back to the Turks, who brought coffee to Hungary and thus laid the foundation for the local coffee house culture. They were not only a meeting place for artists and writers, but also for the poor population, who could order a coffee here and then spend hours in the warm and read the newspaper.
Károlyi Mihály utca 9
Tel.: 0036 – (0) 1 – 266 2110
Department Store The building in which Budapest’s first modern department store was located at the beginning of the 20th century has been thoroughly rebuilt and has been renamed for more than a hundred years and is once again a cultural beacon on Andrássy Street. Here the visitor does not get the impression of a typical shopping center, as the emphasis is more on enjoyable leisure activities. Lecture evenings and other cultural events take place in the building, as well as the Alexandra bookstore, a wine shop, and a book cafe in the famous Lotz Hall.
Andrássy út (= street) 39
Franz Liszt University of Music
The music school, built between 1904 and 1907, is one of the most beautiful Art Nouveau buildings in the city. It is hardly surprising that there is a monument to Franz Liszt on the forecourt, which was erected here in 1986 for his 100th birthday.
Address: Liszt Fernc tér 8
Keleti train station
Budapest’s Keleti pályaudvar is the most important of Budapest’s three international train stations. The other two are Budapest Nyugati pályaudvar (west station) and Déli pályaudvar (south station). The station is located in the Pest district in the 8th district. The neo-Renaissance terminus was planned between 1881 and 1884 by the architect Gyula Rochlitz and built by the railway engineer János Feketeházy. At the time of its opening, it was considered one of the most modern train stations in Central Europe. It was restored in 1998
The former hospital for invalids was built between 1716 and 1728 for the wounded in the Turkish wars and has been used as the town hall since 1894. The large building complex is surprisingly relatively simple for a baroque building
Hungarian Academy of Sciences
The main building of the Academy of Sciences founded in 1830 was completed in 1865. It was built in the neo-renaissance style, as the renaissance is considered to be the time of the beginning sciences.
Construction began in the spring of 1862 under the direction of Miklós Ybl and Antal Szkalnitzky.
The frescoes in the state hall are by Károly Lotz.