Economics and Education in Iceland

Tuition fees for higher education in Iceland vary, the size of the fee depends, among other things, on whether the institution is public or private. You must contact the institution you want to be admitted to.

You can also read more about student life and other practical information about Iceland on the website Study in Iceland


Nordplus is a co-operation and exchange program that provides support for study stays in the Nordic countries. You can receive a grant for a study stay of between 1 and 12 months. In 2012, the subsidy was 180 euros per month.

Application for Nordplus takes place once a year, typically in January, and you must apply via the Danish Agency for Research and Education’s website. Here you can also get information about the application procedure and application deadline.

Nordplus Junior

Nordplus Junior is a program that, among other things, is aimed at students in upper secondary schools and vocational schools. Through Nordplus Junior, you can apply for support for individual internships and training stays in a Nordic country.

Work in Iceland

The normal working hours in Iceland are 40 hours a week. The annual holiday is 24 days if you are younger than 38 years, and 30 days for everyone over 38 years.

Unemployment in Iceland was very low for many years (3.2% in 2007). After the bank crashes and the global crisis, unemployment has grown. In 2012, unemployment was 6%.

You can find more information about the Icelandic labor market at Iceland’s statistical office, Hagstofa Íslands.

Job search

You can receive unemployment benefits for 3 months while you apply for a job in Iceland. See more about this in the article Job search abroad.

You can get information about working in Iceland from the EURES Advisers at the Job Centers.


If you are between 18 and 26 years old, you have the opportunity to get a summer job in Iceland through Nordjobb. Nordjobb is a Nordic youth exchange program that offers summer jobs, housing and leisure programs in Finland, Norway, Sweden and Åland as well as in the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland.

When you apply for a job through Nordjobb, you cannot apply for a specific job. In your application for Nordjobb, you must write a little about yourself, e.g. education and work experience, and which industries you want to work in. Based on your application, you will then be offered a job. Typical jobs can be a nurse, agricultural assistant or gardener.

The exchanges take place in the period approx. May 15 to September 15, and the job lasts from 1 to 4 months. The salary is by agreement, and you have to pay for housing, travel and food yourself.

You can apply per. letter or via the Internet. The application deadline is around May 31 each year, but it is a good idea to apply as early in the year as possible. You can apply from 1 December the year before.

Here you can get more information about Nordjobb

Work-and residence permit

As Iceland is part of the Nordic region, you as a Danish citizen do not have to apply for a work and residence permit in connection with study and work stays.

If you want to stay in Iceland for more than 6 months, you must bring an inter-Nordic relocation certificate from your Danish municipality.

Practical conditions


There is a housing guide for students at the University of Iceland, Studentagardar, which arranges housing and dormitory rooms.

Facts about Iceland

Population: Approx. 288,000

Language: Icelandic

Employment: Unemployment was 4.8% in 2013. (Statistics Iceland)

Education in Iceland