According to 800zipcodes, Eufaula, Alabama is a city located in the southeastern corner of the state, with a population of around 13,000. Geographically, it is situated on the banks of Lake Eufaula and is surrounded by rolling hills and lush forests. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters.
The area was originally inhabited by Creek Native Americans before being settled by white settlers in 1832. Eufaula was incorporated as a town in 1843 and grew steadily throughout the 19th century. The city played an important role in the Civil War and was home to several major battles.
Today, Eufaula still retains much of its historical charm while also embracing modern development. Politically, the city is part of Barbour County and has a mayor-council form of government. Economically, Eufaula benefits from its proximity to major cities like Montgomery and Columbus as well as its access to Lake Eufaula which provides recreational activities for tourists.
The local school system includes an elementary school, middle school and high school that serve over 2,000 students from grades K-12. Additionally there are several private schools available in town such as Saint James Catholic School and Trinity Christian School.
Eufaula is home to numerous landmarks including historic homes like Fendall Hall (built in 1836) which now serves as a museum about the history of the region; historic churches such as First United Methodist Church (built in 1847) which features beautiful stained glass windows; Fort Toulouse (built 1717) which is now a state park; Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge; Lakepoint Resort State Park; Chewacla State Park; Chattahoochee Valley Railroad Museum; and many more attractions that draw visitors from all around the world each year.
Population: 13,908. Estimated population in July 2020: 13,463 (-3.2% change)
Males: 6,433 (46.3%), Females: 7,475 (53.7%)
Zip codes: 36027.
Median resident age: 36.0 years
Median household income: $27,910
Median house value: $82,900
Races in Eufaula:
- White Non-Hispanic (56.9%)
- Black (40.4%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (15.8%), English (5.2%), Irish (4.9%), German (3.8%), French (2.1%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%).
Elevation: 261 feet
Land area: 59.4 square miles
Eufaula, Alabama is a small town located in Barbour County. It has a population of approximately 13,000 people. The majority of the population is white, but there is a growing minority population that consists of African American, Hispanic and Asian Americans. The median age of the population is 38.7 years old and the average household size is 2.6 people. The median household income in Eufaula is $34,000 and the poverty rate among all residents is 22%. The unemployment rate in Eufaula is 8.3%, which is slightly higher than the national average of 5%.
Education levels are also slightly lower than the national average with only 68% of residents having at least a high school diploma or equivalent education compared to 84% nationally. However, this number has been steadily increasing over time as more students attend college or pursue career training after high school graduation. There are several elementary schools, one middle school, one high school and two colleges located within Eufaula’s city limits that offer educational opportunities to its citizens.
The city also has many places for entertainment including movie theaters, bowling alleys and parks as well as several restaurants offering various types of cuisine from around the world. There are multiple churches within the city that serve its citizens with spiritual guidance and fellowship activities throughout the year. Additionally, there are several local businesses that provide employment to many residents in Eufaula including manufacturing plants and retail stores located throughout town.
For population 25 years and over in Eufaula
- High school or higher: 72.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.5%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Eufaula city
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 9.2%
1.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +350 (+2.6%).
Hospital/medical center in Eufaula:
- LAKEVIEW COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (820 W WASHINGTON ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Eufaula:
- SOUTHWEST GEORGIA REGIONAL MEDICAL CTR (about 28 miles; CUTHBERT, GA)
- STEWART WEBSTER HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; RICHLAND, GA)
- EARLY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 41 miles; BLAKELY, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Eufaula:
- LAWSON AAF (FORT BENNING) (about 33 miles; FORT BENNING(COLUMBUS), GA; Abbreviation: LSF)
- DOTHAN RGNL (about 44 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Abbreviation: DHN)
- COLUMBUS METROPOLITAN (about 45 miles; COLUMBUS, GA; Abbreviation: CSG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Eufaula:
- WEEDON FIELD (about 5 miles; EUFAULA, AL; Abbreviation: EUF)
- ABBEVILLE MUNI (about 21 miles; ABBEVILLE, AL; Abbreviation: 0J0)
- CLAYTON MUNI (about 23 miles; CLAYTON, AL; Abbreviation: 11A)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Eufaula:
- COLUMBUS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; COLUMBUS, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,886)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-DOTHAN (about 48 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,703)
- TUSKEGEE UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; TUSKEGEE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY MAIN CAMPUS (about 55 miles; AUBURN UNIVERSITY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 19,703)
- TROY STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 57 miles; TROY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,143)
- ALBANY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 77 miles; ALBANY, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,996)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY-MONTGOMERY (about 77 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,677)
Public high school in Eufaula:
- EUFAULA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 830; Location: 530 LAKE DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Eufaula:
- THE LAKESIDE SCHOOL (Students: 235; Location: 1020 LAKE DRIVE; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Eufaula:
- MOORER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 760; Location: 101 ST FRANCIS RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BLUFF CITY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 471; Location: 333 STATE DOCKS RD; Grades: KG – 05)
- WESTERN HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 466; Location: 520 PUMP STATION RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- SANFORD AVENUE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 376; Location: 422 SANFORD AVE; Grades: KG – 05)
- REBECCA COMER SCHOOL (Students: 112; Location: 53 MP COMER ROAD; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Eufaula:
- EUFAULA CARNEGIE LIBRARY (Operating income: $225,085; Location: 217 NORTH EUFAULA AVENUE; 35,139 books; 1,217 audio materials; 1,551 video materials; 104 serial subscriptions)