St. Jacek Chapel (Kaplica św. Jacka w Oświęcimiu)
This free-standing Gothic chapel from the first half of the 14th century is reminiscent of the former Dominican monastery. In the kryta of the chapel there are some princely graves.
Church of the Salesian Fathers
Founded in the first half of the 14th century, this church in Oświęcims was destroyed twice in 1519 and 1564 as a result of fires. At the beginning of the 17th century, the Dominicans were able to partially restore it. With the decree of Emperor Joseph II. From 1782 all monasteries and therefore also that of Oświęcim were dissolved. Valuable items were sold and the monastery fell into disrepair. At the turn of the century it was restored again and converted into an educational institution. In the 20th century, the work was carried out that determine the current appearance of the church and its interior.
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
This church impresses with its late baroque altar, the baroque paintings and many grave inscriptions from the 19th century. An inscription commemorates the pilgrimage of Pope John Paul II to Poland as well as Auschwitz – Birkenau in 1979. See more about Poland on a2zdirectory.
Monastery complex of the angelic sisters
The first building of the monastery was built between 1893 and 1895 using neo- classicalStyle elements erected. Nowadays a sacred structure, which was free-standing in the 19th century, is connected to a church via a corridor. The new monastery building was built in the 1950s and has the same architectural style as the old one. Between 1905 and 1910 the building that is currently used as a social welfare house was added. It was built partly in the secession style and partly in the modernist style. In the 1930s the monastery complex was expanded to include two sister houses. A picturesque garden spreads out on the west and east sides.
Chevra Lomdei Mishnayot Synagogue
“Community for the Study of Jewish Law” means the name of this synagogue, which is used as a Jewish-Orthodox meeting place and place of prayer. Although the Jewish church from 1928 does not have its own congregation and no rabbi, the Chevra Lomdei Mishnayot Synagogue is the only remaining Jewish religious building in Oświęcim. It is noticeable that the synagogue in its current form dates back to before the Second World War. Only the fact that the synagogue could not be recognized as such saved it from destruction. Nowadays it is used to a certain extent by Jewish guests for sacred purposes.
Oświęcim has a relatively large number of schools. The city has 8 elementary schools, 6 high schools, 5 secondary schools and 6 high schools. For a short time the city has also had a technical college:
Oświęcim Technical College. Oświęcim Technical College,
which is more humanistic, was founded on June 3, 2005. It is currently still under construction, but is already training around 800 students. In addition to the normal course of study, the students also take advantage of a kind of distance learning course. At the moment, the three faculties of philology, political and administrative sciences can be studied at the university of applied sciences.
A memorial plaque in the entrance area of the University of Applied Sciences commemorates the first prisoners of the Auschwitz concentration camp. These were first housed in what is now the university building. The memorial plaque was made by the German Pope Benedict XVI. inaugurated in May 2006. At that time the head of the Roman Catholic Church was in Oświęcim on the occasion of a visit to Poland.
Castles and palaces
This villa was built from 1903 to 1912 and combines stylistic elements of neo- Renaissance and neo- Baroque s.
The royal castle of Oswiecim is on a hill that was once used as a place of pagan worship. While the Gothic tower of the castle dates back to the second half of the 13th century and the southern part of the castle complex dates back to the 16th century, the middle part of the fortress was built in the 1920s. In the course of its history, the castle was damaged by fires several times and then restored. After changing functions, the castle now houses historical-epigraphic collections.
The sports hall shown is the Auschwitz ice rink. The hall is located at ul.Chemikow 4.
The swimming pool is an Olympic swimming pool and therefore approved for international competitions.
Probably from the early 19th century, the graves of members of the Jewish community of Oświęcim and the surrounding area can be found in this cemetery on J. Dabrowski Street. The cemetery was devastated during the German occupation and was intended to make way for an extension of the current Krakauerstrasse (formerly Zatorska Street).
Roman Catholic cemetery
The Catholic cemetery of Oświęcim has spread over a total of 2.7 hectares since the first half of the 19th century. Around 210 tombs of special importance can be found here and are under special protection by the city government.
Oświęcim extends right along the banks of the Sola River, an 80-kilometer right tributary of the Vistula. The Sola has its origin in the Polish Beskids and initially runs north-northeast. This separates the Silesian from the Saybuscher Beskids. After dividing the urban area of Oświęcims into the large right bank part and the smaller left bank part, the Sola flows into the Vistula about a kilometer northeast near the village of Broszkówice.
Vistula (pol. Wisła)
Oświęcim is located on the Vistula River, also known as the “Wixel” or “Wissel”. This rises in the West Beskids and flows from there in a predominantly northward direction through Poland. After 1,047 kilometers, the Vistula flows into the Baltic Sea on the Weichsel-Werder within the Gdańsk Bay. There are many important Polish cities on the Vistula, including Gdańsk (Danzig), Warszawa (Warsaw) and Kraków (Cracow).