According to allpubliclibraries, Ponca City is located in Kay County, Oklahoma, and is situated along the Arkansas River. The city has a temperate climate with average temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to mid-80s Fahrenheit throughout the year. Snowfall is common in the winter months, while summer months are generally hot and humid. The city was founded by the Ponca Tribe of Native Americans in 1893, who named it after their tribe. It grew quickly due to its location along the Arkansas River and its proximity to oil fields.
Politically, Ponca City is a part of Oklahoma’s 4th congressional district and is represented by Republican Frank Lucas in the U.S. House of Representatives. The city also has a mayor-council form of government with an elected mayor and six council members representing each ward in Ponca City.
The economy of Ponca City is largely based on manufacturing and agriculture, with several large companies based in or near the city such as Continental Resources and ConocoPhillips. There are also several smaller businesses that specialize in services such as construction, health care, retail, hospitality, finance and technology services located throughout the city.
In terms of education, there are several public schools within Ponca City’s school district including elementary schools, middle schools and high schools as well as two private schools: St Joseph Catholic School and Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic School. Both private schools offer a variety of educational opportunities for students from preschool through high school graduation.
Ponca City offers a variety of historic landmarks that visitors can explore such as Marland Mansion which was built by oil tycoon E W Marland; White Eagle Monument which honors members of the Ponca Tribe who died during their relocation; Pioneer Woman Statue which commemorates women pioneers; Standing Bear Park which celebrates Native American culture; Kaw Lake which offers recreational activities like swimming, boating and fishing; Marland Grand Home which features tours highlighting E W Marland’s life; Blackwell Zoo which houses over 100 species from around the world; Kaw Nation Museum which features artifacts from various Native American tribes; Cherokee Strip Regional Heritage Center which showcases artifacts from early settlers; Conoco Museum & Education Center which highlights ConocoPhillips’ history; Kay County Courthouse & Jailhouse Museums where visitors can view local artifacts from early settlers to modern times; Boiling Springs State Park where visitors can explore natural springs and forests as well as camp or picnic on site among many other attractions throughout Ponca City!
Population: 25,919. Estimated population in July 2020: 25,070 (-3.3% change)
Males: 12,326 (47.6%), Females: 13,593 (52.4%)
Zip codes: 74601, 74604.
Median resident age: 38.2 years
Median household income: $31,406
Median house value: $58,900
Races in Ponca City:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.5%)
- American Indian (9.2%)
- Hispanic (4.4%)
- Two or more races (3.8%)
- Black (3.0%)
- Other race (2.1%)
Ancestries: German (16.4%), English (11.8%), United States (11.5%), Irish (10.7%), French (3.2%), Scotch-Irish (2.8%).
Elevation: 1022 feet
Land area: 18.1 square miles
Ponca City, Oklahoma is a small city of roughly 25,000 people located in northern Oklahoma. The city is situated along the Arkansas River and is home to a diverse population. The majority of the population is White (73.7%), followed by American Indian (14.3%), Hispanic or Latino (7.2%), African American (3.9%), and Asian (0.7%). The median age of the city’s population is 36 years old, with 18% under the age of 18, 77% over 18, and 5% over 65 years old.
The educational attainment rate in Ponca City is slightly above average with 91% having completed high school compared to 88% nationally and 28% having attained a bachelor’s degree or higher compared to 31% nationally. In terms of employment, the largest industries in Ponca City are healthcare and social assistance; retail trade; arts, entertainment, recreation; public administration; and manufacturing making up approximately 14%, 13%, 10%, 8%, and 8% respectively of all jobs in the area. Furthermore, the median household income for Ponca City residents is $45,395 which is slightly lower than the national median household income of $53,482. Additionally, poverty rates in Ponca City are higher than national averages with 16.3% living below the poverty line compared to 12.4%.
For population 25 years and over in Ponca City
- High school or higher: 83.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.3%
- Unemployed: 8.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ponca City city
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 57.8%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 9.8%
- Divorced: 12.4%
2.4% Foreign born (1.4% Latin America, 0.6% Asia, 0.3% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -673 (-2.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Ponca City:
- VIA CHRISTI OKLA REG MEDICAL CENTER (1900 NORTH 14TH STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Ponca City:
- INTEGRIS BLACKWELL REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; BLACKWELL, OK)
- SOUTH CENTRAL KS REGIONAL MED CENTER (about 25 miles; ARKANSAS CITY, KS)
- FAIRFAX MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; FAIRFAX, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ponca City:
- STILLWATER RGNL (about 39 miles; STILLWATER, OK; Abbreviation: SWO)
- VANCE AFB (about 63 miles; ENID, OK; Abbreviation: END)
- MC CONNELL AFB (about 64 miles; WICHITA, KS; Abbreviation: IAB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ponca City:
- PONCA CITY RGNL (about 1 miles; PONCA CITY, OK; Abbreviation: PNC)
- SKY PARK (about 12 miles; NEWKIRK, OK; Abbreviation: 4K8)
- BLACKWELL-TONKAWA MUNI (about 19 miles; BLACKWELL, OK; Abbreviation: 4O3)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Ponca City:
- PIONEER TECHNOLOGY CENTER (Full-time enrollment: 67; Location: 2101 N ASH; Public; Website: pioneertech.org)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ponca City:
- COWLEY COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 25 miles; ARKANSAS CITY, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,392)
- OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 43 miles; STILLWATER, OK; Full-time enrollment: 16,937)
- LANGSTON UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; LANGSTON, OK; Full-time enrollment: 2,324)
- FRIENDS UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,983)
- WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 10,403)
- UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL OKLAHOMA (about 76 miles; EDMOND, OK; Full-time enrollment: 10,926)
- BUTLER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 79 miles; EL DORADO, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,250)
Public high school in Ponca City:
- PONCA CITY HS (Students: 1,762; Location: 927 N 5TH ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Ponca City:
- CORNERSTONE COMM CHRISTIAN ACD (Students: 27; Location: 3401 NORTH UNION; Grades: 4 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Ponca City:
- PONCA CITY WEST MS (Students: 839; Location: 1401 W GRAND; Grades: 06 – 07)
- LINCOLN ES (Students: 544; Location: 1501 WEST GRAND; Grades: PK – 05)
- PONCA CITY EAST MS (Students: 417; Location: 612 E. GRAND; Grades: 08 – 08)
- E. M. TROUT ES (Students: 414; Location: 2109 E. PROSPECT; Grades: PK – 05)
- LIBERTY ES (Students: 352; Location: 505 W LIBERTY; Grades: PK – 05)
- WOODLANDS ES (Students: 333; Location: 2005 E. WOODLANDS ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- UNION ES (Students: 322; Location: 2617 N UNION ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- WASHINGTON ES (Students: 303; Location: 1615 NORTH SEVENTH; Grades: PK – 05)
- GARFIELD ACADEMY (Students: 302; Location: 601 SOUTH 7TH; Grades: PK – 05)
- MCCORD ES (Students: 220; Location: 4001 SHERWIN AVE.; Grades: PK – 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Ponca City:
- FIRST LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 272; Location: 1104 N 4TH; Grades: PK – 8)
- ST MARY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 237; Location: 415 SOUTH 7TH STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
- FIRST ASSEMBLY CHRISTIAN SCHOO (Students: 145; Location: 1308 E BRADLEY AVE; Grades: PK – 6)