Sodertorn University (abbreviated SH): It is a public university college in Scandinavia, located in Flemingsberg, in the municipality of Huddinge, and its largest area called Sodertorn, in Stockholm County, Sweden.
In 2013, it had about 13,000 full-time students.
The University of Södertörn was established as a university college in 1996 following a parliamentary decision in 1995. The expansion of higher education in the south of Stockholm had been studied for a long time and since entry to higher education was low in the south From Stockholm, high unemployment and large segregation problems the University of Stockholm considered it appropriate to create an independent university in Södertörn. The Karolinska Institutet had already relocated its stomatology career to Flemingsberg and the KTH (Royal Institute of Technology) also had facilities there.
At the beginning of the university in 1996, there were about 1,000 students. The SH had facilities in Södertälje, Flemingsberg and Haninge and initially the Rector of Stockholm University was also Rector of Södertörn University, but on January 1, 1997, Per Thullberg was appointed Rector and the SH obtained the right to grant their own titles.
In 2002 the main Moas båge building was opened in Flemingsberg, a building that received the Outdoor Products Award for the Environment of Concrete Products in 2003. With the new facilities, the teacher education program was moved from Södertälje to Flemingsberg. In the spring of 2006, the operations of the university’s board of directors decided to move from the Haninge campus to the Flemingsberg campus by the fall of 2008 and phase out the Södertälje campus, where teaching had already been suspended.
Sodertorn University applied to the government to become a university in 2002. In 2004, Södertörn University requested approval from the Karolinska Institute and KTH to create a university network at Sodertorn University based on the same model as the University of Oxford in the UK . In May 2006, an updated version of the university application, including changes implemented since 2002, was submitted to the government. On July 1, 2010, the Swedish Higher Education Authority granted Sodertorn University the right to award university degrees. doctorate in the areas of Historical Studies,
At the end of 2013, Sodertorn University was tasked with providing the basic training program for the police that functions as contract education and encompasses five semesters of full-time study, including a six-month internship. The first 180 police cadets began their education at Sodertorn University in January 2015.
In 2013, Sodertorn University had 12,578 students, of whom 6,984 were full-time students.
Sodertorn University has four academic schools:
- Department of Historical and Contemporary Studies.
- Department of Cultural and Pedagogical Studies.
- Department of Natural Sciences, Technology and Environmental Studies.
- Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Archive Science
- Business Studies
- Gender studies
- Intellectual history
- International health
- International relations
- Teacher training
- Media technology
- Environmental science
- Media and communication sciences.
- culinary arts
- Economic Sciences
- Public Law
- Practical knowledge
- Social work
- Political Sciences
- International cooperation.
The University of Södertörn conducts research in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, environment, technology and educational sciences.
Institutes and research centers
The main objective of the research centers is to provide academic added value by focusing on scientifically interesting fields that are at the intersections of traditional disciplines. In this way, the university wishes to create a creative meeting place for staff and students.
- Center for Baltic and Eastern European Studies (CBEES)
- Academy of Public Administration
- Center for Studies in Practical Knowledge
- ENTER forum for research on entrepreneurship
- The Institute of Contemporary History (SHI)
- The Stockholm Center for the Health of Societies in Transition (SHOHOST)
- Maritime Archaeological Research Institute of the University of Södertörn
Sodertorn University Library
The Södertörn University Library building was designed by Christer Malmström Arkitektkontor AB, and has received one of Sweden’s most prestigious architectural awards, the Kasper Salin Prize.
The 11,000-square-meter building contains the library collection, examination rooms, study areas and has 700 study spaces. The library was opened in 2004.
- Per Thullberg (January 1, 1997 – December 31, 2002)
- Ingela Josefson (2003– June 30, 2010)
- Moira von Wright (July 1, 2010 – June 30, 2016)
- Gustav Amberg (July 1, 2016-…)
- Sara Maria Danius, professor of aesthetics, former member (2013–2019) and permanent secretary (2015–2018) of the Swedish Academy.
- Aris Fioretos, Professor of Aesthetics.
- Yvonne Hirdman, Professor of Contemporary History.
- Ebba Witt-Brattström, Professor of Literature.
- Kodjo Akolor, television and radio personality.
- Esabelle Dingizian, politician, Third Vice President of the Riksdag (2014–2018).
- Kristian Gidlund, musician and author.
- Jytte Guteland, politician,
- Anna-Karin Hatt, Corporate and Political Leader, Minister for Technology and Innovation and Regional Affairs (2009–2011), Minister for IT and Energy (2011–2014) at the Swedish Ministry of Business and Innovation.
- Mohamed Said, actor.