Waverly, New York is a small town located in the state of New York. It has a population of approximately 2,500 people and is situated in the Finger Lakes Region. The geography of Waverly includes rolling hills and lush forests, which offer plenty of outdoor activities for its residents. The climate in Waverly is typical for the region, with four distinct seasons. Summers are warm and humid, while winters can be cold and snowy. Check Ehangzhou for best time to travel to New York.
The history of Waverly dates back to the mid-1800s when it was first settled by European settlers. It was incorporated as a village in 1852 and has maintained its small-town charm over the years. Politically, Waverly is part of Tioga County and is represented by Senator James Seward in Albany.
The economy of Waverly is largely driven by agriculture and tourism. The local farms produce apples, cherries, grapes, peaches, plums, pears, corn, hay, honey and maple syrup that are sold throughout the region. Tourists visit to explore the Finger Lakes region’s wineries or take advantage of nearby hiking trails or skiing slopes during winter months.
The schools in Waverly are part of the Spencer-Van Etten Central School District which serves students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. There are three elementary schools (K-5), one middle school (6-8) and one high school (9-12). The high school offers a variety of extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs that students can participate in.
Waverly boasts several unique landmarks including an old covered bridge that crosses over Fall Creek near Phillips Creek Road; Davis Hill State Forest which features over 600 acres of forestland; the historic “Old Stone Church” built in 1835; as well as numerous wineries along Seneca Lake’s wine trail such as Red Newt Cellars Winery & Bistro and Glenora Wine Cellars Vineyard & Inn.
Population: 4,607. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,493 (-2.5% change)
Males: 2,105 (45.7%), Females: 2,502 (54.3%)
Zip code: 14892
Median resident age: 38.9 years
Median household income: $28,958
Median house value: $66,100
Races in Waverly:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.0%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
- Black (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: English (17.6%), Irish (15.9%), German (13.9%), Italian (8.8%), United States (8.1%), Dutch (6.3%).
Land area: 2.3 square miles
Waverly, New York is a small town located in the Finger Lakes region of the state. It has a population of just over 3,000 people and is known for its beautiful landscapes and friendly people. The median household income in Waverly is around $48,000, which is slightly lower than the national average. The cost of living in Waverly is also lower than the national average, making it an attractive option for those looking for a more affordable place to live. Groceries, utilities and other necessities are relatively low-cost compared to other areas in New York State.
The housing market in Waverly offers a variety of options that fit any budget. Homes range from modest single-family dwellings to large estate homes with breathtaking views of Seneca Lake. There are also many apartment buildings with both one-bedroom and two-bedroom units available at reasonable prices. Renting an apartment or house in Waverly can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,500 per month depending on size and location. Property taxes are also relatively low compared to other parts of New York State, making it an attractive option for those looking to purchase real estate as an investment or as their primary residence.
Overall, Waverly provides an excellent quality of life at a reasonable cost. Its peaceful atmosphere and close proximity to nature make it ideal for those who enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing and camping. While there are not many job opportunities within the town itself, nearby cities such as Ithaca offer plenty of employment opportunities for those who wish to commute or relocate permanently. With its stunning views, friendly people and affordable living costs, Waverly provides a great place for families and individuals alike looking for a small town atmosphere without sacrificing amenities or access to larger cities nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Waverly
- High school or higher: 80.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.9%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Waverly village
- Never married: 24.2%
- Now married: 49.1%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 12.5%
- Divorced: 11.7%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -189 (-3.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Waverly:
- ROBERT PACKER HOSP (about 2 miles; SAYRE, PA)
- ST JOSEPHS HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; ELMIRA, NY)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 18 miles; TOWANDA, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Waverly:
- ELMIRA/CORNING REGIONAL (about 26 miles; ELMIRA/CORNING, NY; Abbreviation: ELM)
- ITHACA TOMPKINS REGIONAL (about 34 miles; ITHACA, NY; Abbreviation: ITH)
- GREATER BINGHAMTON/EDWIN A LINK FIELD (about 42 miles; BINGHAMTON, NY; Abbreviation: BGM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Waverly:
- BLUE SWAN (about 2 miles; SAYRE, PA; Abbreviation: N32)
- BRADFORD COUNTY (about 21 miles; TOWANDA, PA; Abbreviation: N27)
- GRUND FIELD (about 30 miles; ITHACA, NY; Abbreviation: 5N3)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Waverly:
- CORNELL UNIVERSITY-ENDOWED COLLEGES (about 31 miles; ITHACA, NY; Full-time enrollment: 12,036)
- CORNELL UNIVERSITY-NY STATE STATUTORY COLLEGES (about 31 miles; ITHACA, NY; Full-time enrollment: 7,413)
- ITHACA COLLEGE (about 31 miles; ITHACA, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,052)
- CORNING COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; CORNING, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,797)
- MANSFIELD UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 40 miles; MANSFIELD, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,831)
- SUNY AT BINGHAMTON (about 46 miles; BINGHAMTON, NY; Full-time enrollment: 11,498)
- BROOME COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; BINGHAMTON, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,081)
Public high school in Waverly:
- WAVERLY HS (Students: 557; Location: 1 FREDERICK ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Waverly:
- ELM STREET ES (Students: 464; Location: 145 ELM ST; Grades: KG – 06)
- LINCOLN STREET ES (Students: 321; Location: 45 LINCOLN ST; Grades: KG – 06)
- WAVERLY MS (Students: 320; Location: 1 FREDERICK ST; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Waverly:
- WAVERLY FREE LIBRARY (Operating income: $113,204; Location: 18 ELIZABETH STREET; 47,552 books; 959 audio materials; 979 video materials; 37 serial subscriptions)